Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Finally a colorful dinner!

My creation last night was beautiful. A .88 lb Boneless Lamb Leg, browned, and perched atop a sauteed mixture of carrots, green beans, and onion, surrounded by chopped yellow potatoes, drizzled with olive oil. Poured over the top of it all, a tomato and white wine sauce. It was a lovely stack of food. And here is the picture...

PSYCH!!

(did I REALLY just type psych?)

Why don't I take pictures of these things? Why do I remember when I am seated on the couch, sated, and watching the Friends episode that TIVO so smartly recorded for us? It isn't that I remember at the dinner table, as just the twine binding the lamb is left in the baking dish. Because I could at least take a picture of that! I remember after the food is placed neatly into a tupperware dish and 'fridgeated'. At that point, the sauce is a little congealed and looking ickerrific.

Sigh. I am just a crappy foodie blogger.

After dinner, we had whole wheat tortillas, buttered and cooked on a griddle, with dark chocolate chips melted inside, and a side of cheesecake flavored pudding (sugar free btw!).

Recipes:
Mediteranean Roasted Lamb
from my KitchenAid Cookbook
3 lb lamb shank or leg, bound with twine
2T olive oil
2 carrots, chopped
1/4 lb. fresh green beans
1 large onion, sliced
1 minced garlic clove
salt and papper
1 can tomato paste
1/2 cup white wine (dry)
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup flour

Dredge lamb in flour, seasoned with salt and pepper. Heat olive oil in skillet. Brown lamb. Remove from pan. Add carrot, onion, beans, and garlic, and saute for 2 minutes. In buttered casserole dish, place sauteed vegetables, place lamb on top. (optional: surround lamb with chopped potatoes, drizzle with olive oil, and some lemon juice would be GOOD, but I did not have any). Whisk tomato paste, wine and water, season up with parsley and oregano. Pour tomato mixture over lamb. Place casserole dish LID on top. Cook 2 hours at 350.


My recipe note:
My lamb was smaller. I cooked it for 1 hour. I used about the same amount of vegetables, though, because I like me some roasted vegetables (in my best Slingblade voice), mm hmm.

No comments: