Thursday, June 07, 2007

Trader Joes Hates Me

I made pork tenderloin kabobs last night, and they were so incredibly excellent. I used the marinade from a Cooking Light recipe. I wanted to serve them with a fruit salsa, like a pineapple mango jalapeno chunky thang. Well Trader Joes USED to have one that was decent. So I trucked down there.

Nope.

Discontinued.

So I wung it. Winged it. Gave it a wang. :)

one chopped roma tomato.
About 1/2 cup chopped pineapple.
2T chopped red onion.
1 chopped green onion.
5 chopped jalapenos rings (from the JAR).
juice of half a lime
chopped cilantro (I like a lot)

It was perfect. Yes, perfect. And spicy! I figure this is about 2 servings worth.

Here is the marinade for the pork: (linky poo up there)
3/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup pineapple juice
1/4 cup fresh lime juice (about 2 limes)
1 1/2 tablespoons grated peeled fresh ginger
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon five-spice powder
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

This marinade is for 8 servings. I cut it in half. It says to reserve marinade for brushing while cooking, but the pork is so tender and I think it would be marinade overkill.

Marinade Overkill...my new band name. Rock on!

No comments: